Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday Update (8/23)

We are a little frustrated that we haven't received word on the surgery yet. However, Mike does need the time to recover so I guess that is okay after all. There's a sense of urgency to get his heart repaired, obviously. I guess it will all work out in God's timing. Mike went to the family doctor today for a checkup on his blood. The doc told him that he has a series of appointments for him. One is with a neurologist, the doc wants Mike to be cleared before the surgery. He will also have to visit the family doctor a couple times a week for blood work and a brief checkup. The family doctor also recommended outpatient rehab. However, Mike is worried about the cost, so he has decided not to go the outpatient rehab. I left a message with our PT department at HSU to see if they might be willing to work with him a little. In addition to this, I have a couple of friends who are physical therapists that just might be willing to give him some exercises to do. (you guys are probably reading this, so don't be surprised if you get a call!)

I forgot the heart surgeon's name at Baylor in Dallas, but apparently, he specializes in this procedure, so we should be in good hands there. We expect the heart surgery to be in the next few weeks, and should find out anytime.

Mike has been very tired and he's still having trouble with some thought processing. His short-term memory seems to hit-and-miss. He is doing crossword puzzles, we hope that will help him out a little. I was thinking we need to get a game night together or something and bring over games like scrabble, boggle, etc. They're fun and make you think. I guess we could bring sidewalk chalk and play hopscotch on the sidewalk too! I'm trying to think of some fun things like this that would be good therapy but also be fun to do.

I guess that's it for now.

3 comments:

lex said...

Y'all are in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Brandon, for such informative and touching updates. As a client, I don't know Mike very well, but know his work ethic and sweet personality, and my mom Myrtle Gleason, Jenna Murry, Ruth Ann Wheeler, and I want to send our thoughts and prayers to Mike and the family. My sister in Oklahoma has even put him on her church's prayer list.

Ben W said...

Brandon,
I have had to go to some therapy here latly on my back. The place I am at West Texas rehab on Antilly offers a program that if you qualify you will basically recieve donation from people who have left money behind to the rehab. It is worth a shot. They just go off your income.Please let me know if I can help out. My cell is 864-6994. Let Mike know he is in our prayers. Ben Wilson

 
Site Meter