Thursday, October 4, 2007

Prothrombin Mutation test positive

Mike got a call from the hematologist's nurse in Dallas this afternoon. And what do you know...he tested positive for Prothrombin Mutation. A quick search on Google produced this article.

The nurse said that it should not affect the surgery, but we're not too sure until we are able to talk to the hematologist and cardiologist. This particular mutation is said to increase the risk of PE (pulmonary embolism) and DVT (deep vein thrombosis). Mike most likely would have had a PE if he didn't have the hole in his heart (PFO).

If you all remember me talking about my cousin Nicholas a couple of weeks ago, you'll remember that he had a PE. I can't remember if I wrote this but Nicholas had a PFO as well, but it was fixed when he was little, from what I understand. This makes perfect sense why the clot traveled to his lungs. Put these two cases together and now we know why Mike's clot went to the brain.

Once again, this is a lot of speculation on my part, but with my understanding of things so far...it seems to be a logical conclusion. I know that we tend to over-diagnose ourselves when we have such wide-spread access to all these medical articles. However, I reserve that the right to theorize if I want! Just to be clear.

All that said, it begins to make sense why mom has had clotting issues in the past. Possibly why my grandpa had early heart attacks. Maybe why miscarriages have been rampant in my family. Maybe my headaches. Maybe dad's headaches.

I don't know and I realize that I'm over-reacting a bit, but what in the world are we supposed to do? I know, I know, trust that the Lord is in control. Well, I do, but it doesn't keep worries from creeping in. I just have to keep all these theories in check and not let them get out of hand too much. Quality of life is something that I feel I have control over, unlike quality of health. I guess I'll try to concentrate on making life meaningful, memorable and enjoyable for me and those around. So, if you catch me making your life hell, I give you permission to call me on it. But be warned, I'm ready to call you on it too.
Good evening.

No comments:

 
Site Meter